Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade
August 18, 2020
Toronto — The Ontario government is launching the next round of applications for the Ontario Automotive Modernization Program (O-AMP). An important part of the government’s Driving Prosperity auto plan, the $10-million O-AMP provides auto parts companies with funding to invest in new technologies and support innovation in Ontario’s automotive supply chains.
The announcement was made today by Vic Fedeli, Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade, while leading an online delegation of 10 Ontario connected and autonomous vehicle (C/AV) companies to TU-Automotive Detroit, one of the world’s largest events dedicated to connected vehicle technologies. The Ontario delegation is showcasing the province’s leadership in areas such as artificial intelligence, sensors and imaging, cybersecurity, data analytics, the Internet of Things and smart infrastructure.
Ontario’s Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) connects the province’s world-leading automotive and technology sectors, high-quality post-secondary institutions, first-class talent and regional infrastructure to support entrepreneurship and create jobs.
The Ontario government will continue to promote the innovation of the Ontario advanced manufacturing sector through its support for the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters’ Ontario Made program. As the province reopens and continues down the path to economic recovery, the government is supporting Ontario’s world-class manufacturing sector and its workers.
- O-AMP supports manufacturing technology adoption and/or adoption of lean manufacturing processes. Funding covers up to 50 per cent of eligible project costs up to $100,000, with recipient companies contributing the remainder through their own resources.
- Ontario was the first province in Canada to allow the testing of automated vehicles on its roads.
- Global leaders including GM, Ford, BlackBerry QNX, Uber and Renesas have invested over $1 billion in the development of connected and autonomous vehicle technologies in Ontario.
- Ontario is the only place in North America where five major automakers build vehicles — Fiat Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Toyota — as well as truck manufacturer Hino.
- Ontario is creating a new investment attraction agency, Invest Ontario, to support strategic domestic firms and attract business from around the world to create good jobs.
Visit apma.ca/o-amp/ for more information.
Click here for full press release